Avery and Myla have been asking us to shave their heads for a while to be like Olaf. We put it off, changed the subject, always had a reason to not do it. But tonight, we did it. I know that not all of you will understand our decisions and that's okay but we want you to understand our hearts.
In the world that we're living in, so much of beauty is placed on outside appearance, education, money, job status, etc. We feel it is our job as parents to help our girls feel otherwise. While beauty is somewhat found in looks, it is mainly within: looking to serve others before yourselves, caring for widows and orphans, empowering women, I could go on all night... Tonight, my kids captured that as 5.5 and 3 year olds.
Sweet Avery and Myla wanted to support their sister who has been battling rhabdomyosarcoma for a year now. They were sick and tired of people staring at her and/or making fun of her and what better way than to join in with her?
We are not naive...admittedly Avery had some anxiety beforehand saying, "what if my friends make fun of me?" We told her what her response could be and she promptly (for the millionth time) asked us to shave her head. We know that kids will most likely make fun of them and that tears are a real potential related to this decision BUT we think the payoff is way greater. Avery and Myla, your beauty is within.
Everyone's response so far? ECSTATIC! Olaf (the sister with the cancer) had the biggest smile on her face watching the girls get their heads shaved. Avery and Myla ran around the house like crazy people telling each other how beautiful they were.
I love that my kids aren't afraid to be different, I love that they love their sister, I love that they're so very excited about their new haircuts, I love how their little hearts are being shaped into such amazingly loving people, I love my family.
this brought joyful tears
ReplyDeleteAw made me cry! So beautiful! I have some serious respect for you and your family Haley. Praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteYou would have had beautiful boys, you do have BEAUTIFUL girls, and they get to see beauty everyday in their mom.
ReplyDelete